CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – The Omaha softball team closed their first weekend of 2021 action with a pair of games at the UNI Dome Tournament. The Mavericks dropped both outings as they fell 3-0 to Drake and 8-2 to UNI.
After the first four games, Omaha falls to 0-4 on the season.
Game One: Drake 3, Omaha 0
How It Happened
- Scoreless until the fifth inning, both teams struggled to find their groove at the plate. It wouldn’t be until the bottom of the second that a hit was tallied. Janae Cameron connected first with a single to right field. The top of the third is when the Bulldogs would get their first shot with a single to third base by Alexia Lara.
- Drake’s Anderson doubled to right field in the fourth, but the Bulldogs would fail to convert for the second straight inning.
- The bad luck stopped there for Drake and the bats came alive in the fifth. Taylor was walked in the leadoff position. Taylor advanced to second on a single from Macy Johnson and eventually scored the first run for the Bulldogs on a sac fly from Lara. Johnson made it a 2-0 game following the sac fly on a wild pitch from Kamryn Meyer.
- Omaha loaded the bases in the sixth and looked to take the lead. Jamie White and Lexi Burkhardt hit back-to-back singles up the middle. The bases filled when Janae Cameron was walked. The Mavericks couldn’t convert and the inning ended with two straight strikeouts.
- Drake added on one more run when Rigby’s single to right field sent Lara across home. Bulldogs win 3-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Lynsey Tucker, White, Lexi Burkhardt, Emily Klosterman, and Cameron all tallied a hit to combine for Omaha’s five hits vs. Drake.
- Meyer and Sydney Hampton split duties in the circle. Meyer made the start and recorded seven strikeouts. Meyer falls to 0-2 on the season.
- Hampton saw the last two batters retiring one.
Game Two: UNI 8, Omaha 2
How It Happened
- The Panthers jumped out to an early 4-0 lead after an action packed first inning. Taylor Hogan started things out with a leadoff double. She would score two at-bats later when Sammey Bunch blasted a homer to left center. A two-run double from Adara Opiola later in the inning would score Moss and Shaffer for the final two runs of the inning.
- Omaha got on board in the top of the third in an attempt to chip away at the lead. Tucker opened the inning with a single to the pitcher. Allison Helton joined her on the bases after being walked. White would tally an RBI as Tucker scored on her single to left field. The Mavericks trailed 4-1 after the top of three.
- Both teams found success in the fourth. Cameron finding it first with a single up the middle. Rachel Weber followed that up with a single of her own to left field. Tucker used her at-bat to hit a sac fly to center field scoring Cameron for Omaha’s final run of the game.
- The Panthers would get two singles to start the bottom half of the inning setting up Bunch for her second home run of the game. This time she’d tally three RBI on the play.
- UNI added one more run on in the bottom of the fifth inning to take an 8-2 win over Omaha.
Inside the Box Score
- Both teams tallied nine hits on the day. The nine hits is the most by Omaha in a single game this season.
- Weber finished a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate vs. the Panthers including one double.
- White went 3-for-4 at the plate. Her three hits matches her career-best, which she has done now three times. The last time was vs. IUPUI on Feb. 22 last season. White also recorded an RBI.
- Tucker, Cameron, and Janae Johnson tallied one hit apiece.
- Hampton made the start in the circle. She falls to 0-2 and retired three batters.
- Meyer came in for relief and faced the last 10 batters. She recorded five strikeouts.
- Omaha will travel to Saint Louis Feb. 19-21 for a four game slate at the Billiken Spring Tournament.