GREELEY, Colo. – The Omaha softball team capped its weekend in Colorado with a 9-1 loss in five innings at Northern Colorado on Sunday afternoon.
With the loss, Omaha is now 12-12 on the season.
How It Happened
- The Bears scored a pair in the first on an RBI double and a Maverick error to take the 2-0 lead.
- Omaha responded in the top of the second when Sydney Ross launched a solo homer over the fence in right.
- Northern Colorado tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the second with an RBI double and a two-RBI double to stretch the lead to 5-1.
- Omaha threatened with the bases load in the top of the fourth but couldn’t get a run home to cut into the UNC lead at all.
- The Bears got a sacrifice fly and a three-RBI triple in the bottom of the fifth to clinch the 9-1 victory in five innings.
Inside the Box Score
- Ross was 2-for-2 at the plate with a solo home run.
- Taylor Johnson and Emma Dargy posted one hit each.
- Sydney Hampton fell to 10-4 on the season after allowing five runs, three earned, on four hits in two innings.
- Johnson tossed the final 2.2 innings in relief for the Mavericks.
The Mavericks travel to St. Louis, Mo., to compete in the Billiken Spring Tournament on Friday-Sunday, March 13-15. Over the three days, Omaha will play against Saint Louis, Purdue Fort Wayne, Lipscomb and UIC.