TULSA, Okla. – The Mavericks closed the OSU/Tulsa Invitational with a win over New Mexico Sunday morning. Omaha used a four-run second inning to take an early lead. They came out on top, 7-2 for their fourth win of the year.
Omaha improves to 4-10 overall.
How It Happened
- The Omaha offense took an inning to warm up before putting runs on the board. Lexi Burkhardt tallied the only Maverick hit in the first, but she helped spark a second inning rally.
- With two outs in the second, Janae Cameron reached the bases with a double down the left field line. She scored on the next at-bat following and error by the New Mexico third baseman. Emily Klosterman kept the rally going with a two-run homer to left center.
- Omaha’s second inning success didn’t end there. Lynsey Tucker laid down a bunt to reach first. She went on to score on Allison Helton’s double to end the inning.
- The Mavericks added two more runs to the board in the bottom of the third. Cameron recorded her second multi-base hit of the game with a home run to right field. She and Rachel Weber would cross home on the play.
- New Mexico managed to score two in the top of the fifth. Howard hit a two-run double to tally two RBI for the Lobos.
- The Mavericks added one more in the bottom of the fifth. Klosterman singled to center field allowing Taylor Johnson to score. Omaha wins, 7-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Omaha’s win vs. New Mexico marks the 200th program win in the Division I era.
- Burkhardt and Cameron had productive days at the plate for Omaha. Burkhardt finished 3-for-4, while Cameron was a perfect 2-for-2.
- Cameron also finished with two runs and two RBI.
- Helton and Klosterman each tallied two hits in the game. Klosterman led the Mavericks with three RBI. She also added a run.
- Sydney Nuismer recorded her first win on the year. Nuismer pitched a complete game. Over the seven innings, she retired four batters.
- Omaha will play in the Wichita State Tournament March 12-14. While in Wichita, the Mavericks will play two games vs. North Texas, two vs. Missouri State, and one vs. Wichita State.