OMAHA, Neb. – The Omaha baseball team tallied a 7-1 win over South Dakota State to clinch the opening series of Summit League play on Sunday afternoon at Tal Anderson Field.
The win moves the Mavericks to 8-9 (3-1 Summit League) while the Jackrabbits drop to 6-10 (1-3).
How it Happened
- The Jackrabbits had a runner on second with one out in the second until Harrison Denk laid out for the diving catch, crashed into the wall and flipped the ball to Chris Esposito, who fired the relay into second base for the 8-9-2 double play.
- Omaha opened the scoring with a ground-rule RBI double by Ryan Doran to plate Esposito in the fourth.
- The Mavericks tacked on a pair of more runs in the fifth off RBI singles by Masen Prososki and Mike Boeve.
- SDSU scored its lone run of the game in the sixth on a solo home run.
- Prososki stole third and raced home after the SDSU’s throw sailed into left field to plate Omaha’s fourth run of the game in the seventh.
- Jack Lombardi drew a walk and Garrett Kennedy was hit by the pitch before Boeve unleashed a two-RBI double to left center, stretching the Omaha lead to 6-1 in the seventh.
- The Mavericks added their final run of the game when Brett Bonar scored on Prososki’s RBI double in the eighth.
Inside the Box Score
- Boeve went 2-for-4 at the plate with a double and team-high three RBI.
- Prososki was 2-for-3 with a double, two RBI and a pair of runs scored while four other Mavericks tallied a hit.
- Starter Mark Timmins tossed a career-high 8.0 innings after allowing one run on four hits and striking out a career-high 10 batters.
- Jarrett Blunt pitched the ninth, sitting down the Jackrabbits and striking out the side.
The Mavericks step out of Summit League play with a three-game series at Wichita State next weekend in Wichita, Kan.