OMAHA, Neb. – The Omaha volleyball team cruised to a 3-0 win over UTEP in the final match of the Omaha Challenge Saturday afternoon.
The Mavericks defeated the Miners 25-12, 25-22, 22-21 in three sets to finish a perfect 3-0 over the weekend. The win also marked the 10th time in program history that the Mavericks garnered an undefeated home tournament record.
Leaders for Omaha
Anna Blaschko tallied a team-best 15 kills on .375 hitting and Claire Leonard added 10. Isabella Sade was the third Maverick to tally double-digit kills with 10 on .467 hitting. Sydney Case recorded a match-high 44 assists, while Claire Mountjoy and Kenzie Michalek totaled 14 and 12 digs apiece.
Breaking Down the Box Score
- Omaha recorded 51 kills to UTEP’s 29.
- The Mavericks also recorded more aces (6-2) and assists (48-27).
- UTEP won the total blocking battle 7-5.
- Omaha recorded a season-high .312 attack percentage against the Miners.
- For the first time since 2009 and joining the Division I era, Omaha went undefeated at its own home tournament.
- The Mavericks improved to 3-0 all-time against UTEP, while head coach Rose Shires improves to 1-0 against her alma mater.
- Sadie Limback earned Omaha Challenge Tournament MVP honors with 3.36 kills per set on .419 hitting, 37 total kills and 0.73 blocks per set over the three-match span.
Inside Set 1
From the beginning, Omaha took control of the match and jumped out to a 5-0 lead capped off by a pair of kills by Leonard. The Mavericks proceeded to go on a 13-6 run to lead by as many as 12 (19-7). From there, Shires and her team cruised to a 13-point set win and took a 1-0 lead in the match.
Inside Set 2
Both teams battled back-and-forth at the start of the second set, but the Mavericks found the run midway through the frame. A 5-0 spurt helped surge the Mavericks to a 15-9 lead in the set. Omaha led by as many as seven (24-17), but UTEP refused to waiver. The Miners rattled off six straight to cut Omaha’s lead to just two and forced a timeout. Out of the break, Mackenzie Horkey sealed the set with her kill.
Inside Set 3
UTEP came out strong and opened with a 4-1 lead, but the Mavericks quickly erased the deficit and tied it up at 4-4. After Omaha trailed 10-9, the team scored four straight to lead 13-10 in the set off two straight kills by Blaschko. That proved to be the turning point as the Mavericks never relinquished the lead for the remainder of the set, and took the match 3-0.
Omaha Challenge All-Tournament Team
MVP- Sadie Limback – Omaha
Isabella Sade – Omaha
Sydney Case – Omaha
Melanie Brecka – UMKC
Emma Dyer – UMKC
Clara Lamb – UIC
Kristen Fritsche – UTEP
Libero: Claire Mountjoy– Omaha
1 – Omaha
2 – UMKC
3 – UIC
4 – UTEP
The Mavericks hit the road to Manhattan, Kan. for the K-State Invitational from Sept. 7-8. The first match is a 10 a.m. showdown against Oregon State and a 5:30 p.m. matchup against North Texas on Friday, followed by host Kansas State on Saturday, Sept. 8, at 6 p.m. Live stats will be available on OMavs.com, while fans can watch the team on ESPN3 against Kansas State.