Scottsbluff Fire Marshal Anthony Murphy says he is still working on determining a cause for a Monday evening fire that destroyed a trailer home in the southeast portion of town.
Around 6 p.m. crews were dispatched to 148 Lee Ann Lane for a home that was fully engulfed in flames. Within 30 minutes, the structure was leveled and the fire spread to the trailer to the west.
Fortunately, Felicia Yardley and her 2-year-old son were able to escape 148 Lee Ann Lane uninjured; and her husband Jacob was not home at the time of the fire. Linda Higgins, who lives at 149 Lee Ann Lane was not home at the time the fire spread to her home, which sustained about $3,000 in damage.
Fire Marshal Murphy says that both The Firefighter’s Ministry and the Red Cross are helping the Yarldey’s and Higgins in the wake of the fire.
The Firefighter Ministry is accepting donations of 4t clothing in our donation box to help the child. If you would like to donate food or anything else please contact The Firefighter Ministry at 631-9674. Friends have also set up a GoFund me page to help them get back on their feet.
Murphy says this is the largest fire that Scottsbluff Firefighters dealt with in 2016 within city limits. He says that mobile homes like these don’t stand much of a chance when a fire gets going, and the high wind gusts from Monday certainly did not help.
He says they are still working on determining a cause of the fire and assessing a dollar amount to the damage on the Yardley’s home.
Murphy urges all residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors. The Scottsbluff Fire Department just completed Fire Prevention Week, and the reminder this year was, “Don’t wait, check the date.” He says smoke detectors should be no more than 10 years old and have good, working batteries.
“Those smoke detectors will definitely confirm if you have smoke inside your house,” explains Murphy. “Thankfully, this was during the day and everybody was awake but want to remind folks to make sure they have good, working smoke detectors.”