Latest Pilger Recovery Efforts
It's been one month since Pilger was hit by a tornado. Tuesday, the Pilger Planning Commission approved its first new zoning permits since the twister.
Two of the permits are for houses. Another is Farmers Co-op's request to rebuild its headquarters.
Here's the latest information for Pilger Residents from NEMA:
Department of Insurance
Nebraska Department of Insurance staff will provide information and respond to insurance-related questions and concerns at a meeting in Pilger on Wednesday, July 23 from 5 to 8 p.m. Representatives will be available at 400 W. Second St. in Pilger. Questions may also be directed to the department's toll-free consumer hotline at 877-564-7923.
Village of Pilger
CONTACT: Kimberly Neiman, Village Clerk/Treasurer (402)396-3563 firstname.lastname@example.org
· Pilger is asking that the remaining residents in Pilger place the street number on their residence to ensure that the appropriate address is found for emergency purposes.
· Pilger is still accepting small quantities of walk-in volunteers during the next couple of weeks but no walk-ins volunteers will be accepted on Sundays.
· Pilger is still in need of heavy equipment (excavators, bobcats and dump trucks) for cleanup and recovery efforts. Please call the help line at (402)468-8005 with questions or to volunteer.
· The Village of Pilger is still trying to locate displaced residents. Any displaced resident of Pilger is asked to contact the Village Office with contact information at (402)396-3563.
· Pilger Days will be this weekend, Friday, July 18 to Sunday July 20, with the main attraction being the dance in the baseball field with beer garden on Saturday night starting at 7 p.m.
Due to the demobilization of the AmeriCorps volunteers, the donations center in Wisner has reduced its hours of operation. The donation center hours are now be 1 to 7 p.m. weekdays; Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and closed on Sundays. The center is closed July 19 for Pilger days. Hours for Aug. 4-7 are 5 to 7 p.m.
Dixon and Wayne Counties
Tornado cleanup volunteers in the Dixon or Wayne counties should call 211. Those who are still help should also asked to call 211. The United Way of the Midlands 211 program will continue to coordinate volunteer efforts for the tornado cleanup in Dixon and Wayne Counties.
'Cash bash' for Pilger
The Norfolk Key Club will be hosting a "Cash Bash" for Pilger on Thursday, July 17, from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Shopko parking lot in Norfolk.
The first hit of the car to be smashed will be auctioned at 6 p.m. Those wanting to participate need to wear long pants, but goggles will be provided. Go to twitter.com/NorfolkKeyClub to get a copy of the waiver required in order to participate.
All proceeds will go to help tornado victims in Pilger.
* * *
Tornado relief fundraiser
A Northeast Nebraska tornado relief fundraiser is set for Sunday, July 20, at the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Norfolk. The event will run from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The fund raiser will feature a raffle, bake sale and a food drive. Entry fee is a free will donation or a canned food item. All proceeds will be donated to affected communities.
For more information, contact Tracee Larson at 750-1807 or Shawn Parks at 372-7151.
© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information